Latest posts by Beerguyrob (see all)
- Your “Almost At The Fireworks Factory” Wednesday Evening Open Thread – July 17, 2019
- Your “It’s Darkest Before The Dawn” Tuesday Evening Open Thread – July 16, 2019
- Your Franchise Tagged Monday Evening Open Thread – July 15, 2019
Not for nothing, but today has never been much more than another Sunday to me. I didn’t have the greatest father, or the greatest relationship with him. It’s hard to look up to the person who gave you ulcers at age 8, kept you in fear of the dock lock turning, routinely called you a disappointment for not following his half-assed career, and then dumped his wife whilst bleeding their joint account dry & left his two adult sons holding the bag to bail her out because she was their responsibilty now. I have the Gen-X trifecta of physical, emotional & financial scars.
I give him credit for ponying up to help straighten me out when I was going the wrong way, but I have to ignore his contribution towards paving that path in the first place to do so. Also, he helped me pay my way through university by giving me jobs with his mining company, from which I received enough money for tuition and the lifelong effects of pleurisy.
In the end, he chose to die alone & broke. I got a call from a notary saying he died, but that he wasn’t legally authorized to say when, where, or how it happened, or what happened to his body. The only closure I get is that I no longer have to worry about a phone call from back east asking if I can come to identify a body. Oh, and the creditors stopped calling.
Just don’t be dicks to your kids.
- Cubs at Dodgers – 7:00PM | ESPN / TSN2
- Copa América:
- Costa Rica vs. Nicaragua – 8:00PM | UNI / FS1 / TSN3
- These have been great games so far. I know it doesn’t mean much, but I was pleasantly surprised Canada beat Martinique. As bad as Canada is, it still felt like a trap game & we’d lose to the Caribbean equivalent of St. Pierre et Miquelon.
- College World Series:
- Game 4: Auburn vs. Mississippi State – 7:30PM | ESPN2
Sorry this was kind of a downer. Enjoy the Copa footy tonight. Hopefully, you dads out there get some nice barbecue & a night off from the dishes. Mazel tov!