So I’m back here in Los Angeles after spending the weekend in Austin, and even though the temperature is about the same, the reduction in humidity is making it infinitely more bearable. Austin is nice, but I don’t know how anybody can suffer though that Texas heat for an entire summer. Some BOTG details of the trip:
- We walked though the University of Texas, past Texas Memorial Stadium which truly is gigantic. You can pretty much see the clock tower from everywhere, which makes it kind of terrifying to imagine someone up there shooting at people.
- We drove an hour out to Lexington to have barbecue at Snow’s, where I was tickled pink when the veterinary students in front of us in line were chuckling at how “someone” had set up a wifi hotspot as “TRUMP IS PUTIN’S LITTLE BITCH”. It’s actually the most fun I’ve ever had waiting in line for something – they even give away free beer, though at 9 a.m. that’s not really something I was interested in.
- I saw four Beto O’Rourke signs and zero Ted Cruz ones. Nobody likes Ted Cruz. I bet even his parents schedule a vacation around election day so they don’t have to lie to him when he asks who they voted for.
- We spent a morning at Barton Springs Pool, which is three acres of spring-fed gloriousness. As usual, I’m confronted with my own venerability as about six leaps off the diving board later led to a sore lower back.
- We had a nice cocktail at the bar at Kristin Kish’s new restaurant Arlo Grey and watched the bats emerge at sunset from underneath the Congress Avenue Bridge. It’s a lot of bats! We tried to guess the number Price-is-Right style and my sister-in-law took home the prize with a guess of 600,000. The real number is actually closer to a million.
- I introduced my nieces and nephew to Battlebots.
Last weeks’ Request Line topic was “milestones” – significant life events. I’m giving a joint Pick of the Week to theeWeeBabySeamus and Nomonkeyfun for their pick of Don McLean’s classic “American Pie” (though tWBS gets the edge for turning his card in first). Hope you folks have a lovely week and this heat lets up sometime soon.