Latest posts by Beerguyrob (see all)
- Your “I Guess Preseason Gets Exciting Next Week?” Monday Evening Open Thread – August 20, 2018
- Your “How Do I Do This Again?” Sunday Evening Open Thread – August 19, 2018
- Your “I’ll Pluck You!” Wednesday Evening Open Thread – August 1, 2018
Today was the first day of free agency, or the good riddance, post-Peyton era if you’re DeAngelo Williams. Good on him for refusing to apologize. At least now we know who’s in Peter King’s doghouse heading into the 2016 season, and not just for picking on Pete Prisco. Cam Newton should send him some flowers.
Your brief roundup of Day 1:
- Megatron retired. Are we sure we didn’t not see Jim Caldwell at the Combine?
- Malik Jackson was brought in by the Jags to keep Dante Fowler from hurting himself again
- The Iggles traded Byron Maxwell & Kiko Alonso to Miami, helping rid the joint of that Chip Kelly smell.
- Miami also signed Mario Williams. Combined with the above trade, Philly should lead the League in 9-3 final scores next year.
- Richie Incognito bullied the Bills into a three-year, $15 million deal.
- Tamba Hali is going back to the Chiefs. I know a couple of Commentists who are thrilled by this.
- Looks like the Steelers are getting Mike Wallace back. William Gay is staying.
There are four primaries tonight; in words that are rarely typed, the big prize is Michigan. The other states are Mississippi, whose Governor endorsed Cruz today, Idaho and – OBUMMER’S ‘birth place’ – Hawaii. In other birther news, a suit against Cruz was dismissed in NY, not like it would have stopped the process anyway. Question: Would the Republicans actually consider a non-candidate as a Convention-floor nominee? If so, I’d think it would be Paul Ryan.
Myself, I’m going to see “The Queens of Sheba” tour tonight, with Heart and Joan Jett. Like me, they rocked hard in the 80s, and today have a nice little career going for them in the 21st Century.
The contests of significance: (all times eastern)
- Rangers @ Sabres – 7:00
- Penguins @ Islanders – 7:30
- Bruins @ Tampa Bay – 7:30
- Nets @ Raptors – 7:30
- Spurs @ T-Wolves – 7:30
- Wizards @ Trail Blazers – 10:00
- Gonzaga @ St. Mary’s – 9:00 – WCC Tournament finals from the Orleans in Las Vegas
- BYU Lady Cougars were upset in a nail biter by the USF Lady Dons* 70-68 in the Women’s final earlier today
- Wake Forest & NC State played at 12:00 eastern, which would have been the marquee match of today’s schedule.
- Nothing else of note. Lots of minor conference tournaments.
- ESPN has Green Bay vs Wright State as their main network game, just to give you an idea.
- Here’s the link to the NCAA tournament broadcast schedule: http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2016-03-08/march-madness-television-schedule-turner-cbs-announce-2016
* = FYI, “Don” is an acronym for De Origen Noble, which translates to “of noble origin” and is a Spanish title given only to a noble person of political, social or official distinction. The name references the early history of California and San Francisco, which was marked by the exploits of the adventuresome and swashbuckling Spanish Dons. Until 1931, the teams were called the “Grey Fog”, a much cooler name.
Enjoy your evening! BURN IT TO THE WICK!