Latest posts by Beerguyrob (see all)
- Your “Dear God – No!” Thursday Evening Open Thread – January 18, 2018
- Hope Clicks Eternal – The Divisional Round – January 18, 2018
- Your “Spinning My Tires Out Of Here” Wednesday Evening Open Thread – January 17, 2018
Because there’s nothing going on. There’s even a lack of good rumours, partially because most job openings have been filled. It just means time for more “Peter King thinkpieces”, which isn’t good for anybody.
I’m not one of those “back in my day” types who thinks the break is too long. I do think the two weeks are good for healing the teams so a better game results. But it’s the interminable slog towards game week that gives people reason to question why they watch the game.
- Proving nature & the media abhors a vacuum, Ben Roethlisberger mentioned “evaluate and consider all options” and now all outlets are talking about retirement and what happens to the Steelers.
- I doubt it makes up for the sting of not playing for the Super Bowl, Browns linebacker Jamie Collins signed a 4-year, $50 million deal to stay in Cleveland.
- Take from this what you will, but it’s John Elway & Tony Romo at a Trump inauguration party over the weekend.
— Nicki Jhabvala (@NickiJhabvala) January 23, 2017
Finally, Peter King is doing his master’s work.
I missed it yesterday, because why would I look for it, but the MMQB has a hagiographic long-form piece on how Roger Goodell helped convince Robert Kraft to not move the Patriots to Hartford and instead build a new stadium at Foxborough.
Long story short: just after Hartford lost the Whalers, the mayor set out to try and draw another major sports franchise to town, to both boost his popularity and to replace what had been ripped away. There was actually a letter of intent involved, but six days prior to commiting to Hartford, a group involving ol’ Rog managed to convince the good folks at the Foxborough council and state government to pony up some “improvements” if Kraft built the stadium himself.
So really, Pats fans, don’t boo this man you consider the devil. Petey is one of you, don’tcha know. Instead, worship him as your god, because without his sincere concern you wouldn’t have a Patriots to cheer for.
Oh, and FYI – don’t search “dismissive wanking gif” on your work computer. Trust me.
Rather than try and improve upon it, I’m just going to use this Pro Bowl Skills preview verbatim:
The Pro Bowl Skills Challenge, now called Pro Bowl Skills Showdown, returns after a 10-year hiatus this week. The reimagined version, which will tape on Wednesday and air Thursday night on ESPN, features a dodge ball game, a “power relay challenge,” a precision passing competition and a best hands showdown. But in its essence, the best part about the competition — athletes on vacation, letting their hair down but still unable to shed the fear of athletic humiliation — remains unchanged.
This is really all the excuse I need for a “Throwback Tuesday”, and reason to post clips & pics from the ancestor to this effort.
No, not the “Laff-A-Lympics”, but the “Battle of the Network Stars”.
And, of course, DFO’s mater familias, Lynda Carter.
Fun fact: in 1979, the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders were part of the ABC team due to this fantastic looking movie.
The ad campaign couldn’t even get off the ground today. “A little cheesecake in a beefcake world.” Could you imagine the Jezebel screeds and Twitter campaigns? The volume of petitions would break change.org.
Look – it’s on YouTube!
Yessir – that’s the 70s.
- Blues at Penguins – 7:00PM | NBCSN
- Red Wings at Bruins – 7:00PM | Sportsnet
- NBA: Spurs at Raptors – 7:00 | Sportsnet1
- NCAA: DFO probable choices:
- Kansas at West Virginia – 7:00PM | ESPN2
- Purdue at Michigan State – 7:00PM | ESPN / TSN2
- Kentucky at Tennessee – 9:00PM | ESPN / TSN2
- WWE SmackDown – 8:00PM | USA / Sportsnet360
- the “go home” show before the Royal Rumble
- Australian Open: Quarterfinals – 9:00PM | ESPN2
- Konta versus Serena Williams – 9:00PM
- Raonic ?? versus Nadal – 3:30AM (Wed.)
I believe you have enough rabbit holes to look down this evening. WHERE WILL THE CONVERSATION TAKE US?!