Latest posts by Beerguyrob (see all)
- Your “Dammit, What Was I Thinking?” Monday Night Football Evening Open Thread – November 20, 2017
- Hope Clicks Eternal – The Miami Dolphins – November 9, 2017
- Your “Old Man > Rookie Running Back” Wednesday Evening Open Thread – November 8, 2017
I think we can all agree that the 2016 Westminster Kennel Club dog show is annual appointment television. [The Open Thread comments last night were delightful.] The German Short-haired Pointer won, partly (in my mind) by just not being the Shih Tzu, and was a handsome selection. But the real winner was Dario the Leonberger, who stole the crowd’s hearts while he tried to rip open the treat pocket of his handler. It probably gave Cam Newton flashbacks, and Michael Vick ideas.
- In what appears to be a media-69, SI is reporting Bill Simmons’ new site will be called “The Ringer”, in a shocking lack of both irony and knowledge of Johnny Knoxville movies. Over/under on Kirk Lazarus quotes appearing in the comments is 1.5 days.
- Jerod Mayo apparently announced his impending retirement from the Patriots today, and somehow that makes the 49ers defence even worse. I look forward to Jim Nantz drooling over a 7th-round pick Belichick turns into the next Junior Seau.
- For those who care, pitchers & catchers reported today for Spring Training. (Insert obligatory Aaron Rodgers “What?” joke here.)
NBA: last day of the All-Star break, or as George Karl calls it – “reprieve”.
College hoops has some nice games on the dial. The ones that stick out to me are:
- #1 Villanova at Temple (7:00 EST) – over/under on Cosby references is 0.5; on batteries thrown is 8.5
- Syracuse at #18 Louisville (7:00 EST) – must be a hooker convention in town
- #23 Providence at #8 Xavier (7:00 EST) – hope the Pope gets the Deuce in Juarez
- #20 Duke at #5 UNC (9:00 EST) – in one of the usual “the rest of America roots for meteor” games
- Colorado at USC (11:00 EST) – the warm glass of milk you’ll need before bed
NHL: only three games scheduled: (translations here)
- Les Alouettes Glace, with the worst record since December, trundle into the Kroenke Pepsi Center to take on the Ice Kroenkes Broncos. (8:00 EST)
- the Ice Bears, looking like Cup favourites again (I just threw up a little typing that) look to extend their road winning streak against the Ice Giants. (8:00 EST)
- in probably the least enjoyable of the three games tonight – but what else are you going to do, talk to your family? – the Ice Vikings, fresh off mauling the Ice Liouns on Monday, take on the Ice Stampeders in Calgary. (10:00 EST)
At this point, all 7 Canadian NHL teams are out of the playoff races. Good thing the MLS season starts March 6th, and the CFL season starts June 23rd.
Barring all that, “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” is on at 10:00 EST, and hopefully one day it gets a rivebrog on BBM. It’s my first time doing this – I AWAIT YOUR SCORN!