Latest posts by Beerguyrob (see all)
- Your “I’ll Pluck You!” Wednesday Evening Open Thread – August 1, 2018
- Your “Two Days & Counting” Tuesday Evening Open Thread – July 31, 2018
- Your “Trying A New Schedule” Monday Evening Open Thread – July 30, 2018
I hope you ran your laps today, because dinner is a healthy helping of NUGGETS!
Apparently Cal-Lutheran is into deals with the devil, because they signed a two-year deal to let the Rams train in their facility until Stan Kroenke finishes building his Metroplex.
- According to a story at Deadspin, Chip Kelly threw away scouting reports prior to the Draft, if they weren’t related to players he wanted. Because Chip Kelly, I assume the papers were separated by color first prior to disposal.
- Mike Tomlin went to Florida State’s pro-day and – as a test – froze the kicker during an attempt from 50-yards. It didn’t work on the kid, because that tactic only works on Steelers kickers.
- If you want to puke while laughing, have a read of nfl.com‘s story about the Broncos actively considering Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer and Mike Glennon. Pey-pey gets one last laugh at Elway’s expense.
- Meanwhile, some idiots are talking about Tebow replacing Rubio in the Senate, because it’s always preferable to replace a weak right-wing with a weak right arm.
Hockey Talk: Want to see the NHL version of an ISIS video?
Please to meet Duncan Keith, all-star defenceman and off-season lumberjack. He’s getting an in-person hearing about that, which means at least a five-game suspension. Because his name isn’t “Matt Cooke”, he’ll most likely be back in time for the second round.
Boxing: Fifty years ago yesterday, George Chuvalo fought Muhammad Ali at Maple Leaf Gardens, and was the first man to take Ali the full fifteen rounds. The whole thing is a Canadian “Rocky” tale, and the aftermath of the fight had impacts on both men for years to come. The story of why Chuvalo & Toronto were chosen is good; the video of the whole fight is better. It’s the reason why a certain glamour still exists around the old fights and fighters.
Soccer: Nice win by the US Men’s team last night, and they should make it through qualifying. Canada got waxed in Mexico, so it looks like we’re aiming for 2022 now!
Crimebeat! – Civil litigation edition – I feel guilty intruding, but these are too good not to let go:
- Elton John is being sued in California by an ex-bodyguard over battery, sexual battery and sexual harassment allegations. Making it awkward is that the accuser is a former LAPD cop who won the Medal of Valor in 2007, so on the surface it doesn’t seem like a crank looking for a quick payday. For the interested or legal types, here’s the link.
- William Shatner is being sued in Florida over paternity. Some guy claiming to be his son as the result of an affair in 1956 is suing to get a DNA test and “seeking $30 million in compensatory damages, $90 million in punitive damages and $50 million for pain and suffering”. Here are links to his site and the suit. I’m surprised it wasn’t written in crayon on foolscap.
Now, after dinner is time to play a game,
NHL: (3 games total) – Flyers @ Capitals – 8:00
NBA: (9 games total)
- Hawks @ Raptors – 7:30
- Pelicans @ Spurs – 8:30
- Warriors @ Jazz – 9:00
No politics mentions by me tonight, because there’s crazy yet to come. NO, YOU’RE FIVE YEARS-OLD, ANDERSON POOPER!