Latest posts by Beerguyrob (see all)
- Your “Gotta Go Somewhere” Tuesday Evening Open Thread – June 19, 2018
- Your “Bills Coming Due” Monday Evening Open Thread – June 18, 2018
- Your “Cause That’s Not Where I Want To Be” Sunday Evening Open Thread – June 17, 2018
(A billion thanks to Low Commander for the photoshop)
Tomorrow afternoon is when things start to go nuts. So it’s pretty quiet today. A little too quiet. Lots of rumours, but why waste time on speculation?
- rumoured for weeks but expected tomorrow (& confirmed by my source at the BC Lions), Vince Young is comin’ to the CFL!
- The 2017 Vince Ferragamo experiment will be taking place in Regina this summer with the Green Riders.
- his agent is Leigh Steinberg, who also represented Warren Moon and Ricky Williams when they played in the CFL.
- “[H]e’s got a yearning to play more football.”
- Brandon Marshall is staying in the Meadowlands, signing a two-year deal with the Giants.
- as part of the arrangement, his demons will stay property of the Jets
- Brice Butler has re-signed with the Cowboys.
- Mike Glennon possibly getting $15 million has Aaron Rodgers looking for a new deal.
- Because he’s due $13.65 million for 2017, and he ain’t Mike Glennon.
- Vernon Davis has re-signed with Washington, a three-year deal (terms unannounced).
- Tyrod Taylor has re-signed with the Bills.
- Tony Romo will be cut tomorrow at 4:01PM.
Finally, I was unaware that they existed, yet it makes perfect #branding sense. ESPN had a story about “regional combines” run by the NFL where prospects pay $160 for the chance to work out in front of NFL scouts. Doing a modicum of research, they sound more organized than Dick Vermeil’s Philly open tryouts:
- The National Football League launched the NFL Regional/Super Regional Combines program in 2012 to serve as a supplement to the League’s National Scouting Combine. They are designed to provide an opportunity for participants to display their pro potential.
- NFL Regional Combines are conducted specifically for persons eligible for the 2017 NFL draft that are not participating in the National Scouting Combine.
- NFL Regional Combines are not fantasy camps. Applicants must meet NFL eligibility rules and be able to perform at a high skill level. The NFL reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to reject any applicant it determines to be unqualified or unfit to compete.
- Participants’ measurements and Combine results, including video of their drills, are compiled and entered into a database accessible to all 32 NFL clubs. This data will be posted to the Regional Combines website after each event.
Stipulation #3 was bolded on their site, so shitheads like me can’t just walk in and demand to show off their punting skills. They probably also have hidden codicils about “non-refundable” fees, because Roger Goodell.
The NFL takes pains to point out that “at the conclusion of the 2016-2017 season the NFL Has (28) 2016 NFL Regional Combines Players on NFL Rosters; 96 in total from 2012-2016 Regional Combines.” But still,
Would you like some nightmare fuel? Well, someone clearly tired of watching reruns at Grandma’ s took the laugh track out of a “Big Bang Theory” scene and replaced it with Ricky Gervais. The result is something (even more?) startlingly unfunny:
I guess that was their point. **Don’t show this to Mom**
Finally, Happy International Women’s Day!
Tonight’s sports: so much non-football action!
- Red Wings at Bruins – 8:00PM | NBCSN
- Penguins at Jets – 8:00PM | Sportsnet
- Senators at Stars – 8:00PM | Sportsnet360
- Pistons at Pacers – 8:00PM | ESPN
- Raptors at Pelicans – 8:00PM | Sportsnet1
- Celtics at Warriors – 10:30PM | ESPN / Sportsnet1
- NCAA tournaments:
- Big 12:
- Oklahoma vs. TCU – 7:00PM | ESPNU
- Texas vs. Texas Tech – 9:00PM | ESPNU
- Big East:
- Georgetown vs. St. John’s – 7:00PM | FS1
- DePaul vs. Xavier – 9:30PM | FS1
- Wake Forest vs. Virginia Tech – 7:00PM | ESPN2
- Pittsburgh vs. Virginia – 9:00PM | ESPN2
- Big 12:
Plus, there’s a new “Sunny” tonight:
Dennis reveals he has a baby from his Wade Boggs layover in North Dakota, and everyone offers a solution for how to get him out of this jam.
Tomorrow will have an afternoon “Free Agency Open Thread” starting at 3:30 ET/12:30 PT, to accommodate the signing window opening at 4:00/1:00, so we can all rave/rant at the money & players being moved about.
ALL SMART MOVES!